Your Health Information Rights
The health record we maintain and billing records are the physical property of the practice. The information in it, however, belongs to you. You have a right to:
- Request a restriction on certain disclosures of your health information by delivering the request in writing to our office. We are not required to grant the request but we will comply with any request granted;
- Obtain a paper copy of this Notice of Privacy Practices for Protected Heath Information by making a request at our office;
- Request that you be allowed to inspect and copy your heath and billing records. You may exercise this right by making a request in writing to our office;
- Appeal a denial of access to your protected health information except in certain circumstances;
- Request that your health care record be amended to correct incomplete or incorrect information by delivering a written request to our office;
- File a statement of disagreement if your amendment is denied, and require that the request for amendment and any denial be attached in all future disclosures of your protected health information;
- Obtain an accounting of disclosures of your health information as required to be maintained by law by delivering a written request to our office. An accounting will NOT include internal uses of information for treatment, payment or operations, disclosures made to you or made at your request, or disclosures made to family members or friends in the course of providing care;
- Request that communication of your health information be made by alternative means or at an alternative location by delivering the request in writing to our office; and,
- Revoke authorizations that you made previously to use or disclose information except to the extent information or action has already been taken by delivering a written revocation to our office.
The practice is required to:
- Maintain the privacy of your health information as required by law;
- Provide you with a written notice of our duties and privacy practices as to the information we collect and maintain about you;
- Abide by terms of this notice;
- Notify you if we cannot accommodate a written requested restriction or request; and,
- Accommodate your reasonable request regarding methods to communicate health information with you.
We reserve the right to amend, change, or eliminate provisions in our privacy practices and to enact new provisions, regarding the protected health information we maintain. If our information practices change, we will amend our Notice. You are entitled to receive a revised copy of the Notice by calling and requesting a copy of our Notice or by visiting our office and picking up a copy.
To Request Information or File a Complaint
If you have questions, would like additional information, or want to report a problem regarding the handling of your information, you may contact Texas Board of Dental Examiners in writing at the address listed in this Notice.
Additionally, if you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a written complaint at our office by delivering the complaint to Dr. Eddy Yang. You may also file a complaint by mailing it or e-mailing it to the Texas Board of Dental Examiners whose street address and webite is:
Texas State Board of Dental Examiners
333 Guadalupe, Tower 3, Suite 800
Austin, Texas 78701-3942
Web access is available at www.tsbde.state.tx.us
- We cannot, and will not, require you to waive the right to file a complaint with the Texas Board of Dental Examiners as a condition of receiving treatment from the practice.
- We cannot, and will not, retaliate against you for filing a complaint with the Texas Board of Dental Examiners.
Other Disclosures and Uses
Unless you object, we may use or disclose your protected health information to notify, or assist in notifying, a family member, personal representative, or other person responsible for your care, about your location, and your general condition, or your death.
Using our best judgment, we may disclose to a family member, other relative, close personal friend, or any other person you identify, health information relevant to that person’s involvement in your care or in payment for such care if you do not object or in an emergency.
Food and Drug Administration
We may disclose to the FDA your protected health information relating to adverse events with respect to products and product defects, or post-marketing surveillance information to enable product recalls, repairs, or replacements.
As required by law, we may disclose your protected health information to public health or legal authorities charged with preventing or controlling disease, injury, or disability.
Abuse & Neglect
We may disclose your protected health information to public authorities as allowed by law to report abuse or neglect.
If you are an inmate of a correctional institution, we may disclose to the institution, or its agents, your protected health information necessary for your health and the health and safety of other individuals.
We may disclose your protected health information for law enforcement purposes as required by law, such as when required by court order, or in cases involving felony prosecution, or to the extent an individual is in the custody of law enforcement.
Federal law allows us to release your protected health information to appropriate health oversight agencies or for health oversight activities.
Judicial / Administrative Proceedings
We may disclose your protected health information in the course of any judicial or administrative proceedings as allowed by law or with your written authorization and you may revoke the authorization as previously provided.
Examples of uses of your health information for treatment purposes:
A nurse obtains treatment information about you and records it in a health record. During the course of treatment, the doctor determines a need to consult with another doctor. The doctors will share information relevant to your care.
Example of your health information for payment purposes:
We submit a request for payment to your health insurance company. The health insurance company requests information from us regarding medical and dental care given. We will provide information to them about you and the care given.
Example of Use of Your Information for Health Care Operations:
We obtain services from our insurers or other business associates such as quality assessment, quality improvement, outcome evaluation, protocol and clinical guidelines development, training programs, credentialing, medical review, legal services, and insurance. We will share information about you with such insurers or other business associates as necessary to obtain these services.
Other uses and disclosures besides those identified in this notice will be made only as authorization by law or with your written authorization and you revoke the authorization as previously provided.
If you want to exercise any of the above rights, please contact our office, in person or writing during office hours.